Thursday, April 14, 2011

Better late then never

I waited to post this week thinking I would have good news about my appointment Tuesday but as it turns out they messed up my date and have me down for next month   I was a bit annoyed at first but then I thought maybe another month is better, I still have no idea my weight but I think my clothes are looser or maybe it's in my head but either way I have another month to really tweak my diet and exercise.
Since I was so close to the lake I decided to take advantage of the sun and took a walk by the lakefront on the beach. It was really nice to be alone with my thoughts and hear the water and the birds and it occurred to me to enjoy every minute of this walk,  if I was in an RA flare there is no way I could walk on the sand and I walked the entire beach and back and felt beyond awesome doing it!


 Being alone with my thoughts I realized I am already on week 4 of this new healthy lifestyle,  it really sunk in that I am doing it! I still have no pain and I really hope I am finally finding a happy middle. I really think some people can control their RA by eating certain foods and some can stop eating gluten and get relief. Some people can even control it by medication and not change their diet. I have really thought about this a lot and I think I need both. I don't believe I can control my RA by diet alone and the medication tries to work but not giving my body the healthy fuel it needs I am working against it.  My doctor said something to me that really bothered me, he said "I am sorry I have not been able to give you relief, but I'll figure it out"  it occurred to me if I don't do my part and lose this weight and move the joints and treat my body better I'll never get there and it's certainty not his fault. To be honest this did motivate me some because it really bothers me he thinks he is failing me when I truly believe he is a rare doctor that cares.
One of the awesome things about other RA'ers blogging is learning what works for them and twisting it to work for me. Last week I really found some great blogs that I can relate to and anyone out there whether it's an RA blog or your personnel life and obstacles, I thank you for sharing your life and experiences, you never know who you are helping.
So even though the week is almost over I'll still share the goals I worked on this week.

Goals for week 4
  1. Bring lunches to work this week.
  2. Walk two to three times a week
  3. Do dishes after dinner to get some increased activity in.
  4. If weather and time permit take my son for a walk.
**Weekly Reward**
Buy a book for my kindle on my wishlist.
Assuming the rest of the week goes good I can go buy new walking shoes for my monthly reward!  


"Above all, do not lose your desire to walk.  Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness.  I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it. "   ~Soren Kierkegaard

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog after you commented on mine ("Remicade Dream"). Sounds like we have a lot in common, aside from the RA and the Remicade infusions - I'm 40 and have a 3-year-old son, and I've been married for 4 1/2 years. I'm also trying to lose weight right now, and I've also been making weekly goals for myself.

    Nice to "meet" you, and I look forwarding to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete