Monday, March 21, 2011

Happy Monday, it's time for goal setting!

And another new week begins. I'm feeling a little out of sorts today. Yesterday I slept the whole day away and still went to bed at 8:30. Not sure if this is RA fatigue hitting me or something else but even after all that rest I still feel like napping right now. Sometimes I think I can handle the RA when the fatigue isn't so bad but when I have them both it really sucks!   Last week I called my doctor and asked if there was any update on the insurance company approving the infusion early and it's not looking good. My doctors exact words were " I have to write a stupid letter to the insurance company" my guess is they will drag this out and it will be time for my infusion anyway,  I imagine my doctor is irritated he has the medicine to make me better but can't give it to me.  My next appointment is March 29th. This could be a long week. Friday I tried to take a walk for 15 min and barely made it half of the half  I did the day before. This is so incredibly frustrating to the have the motivation but my joints just don't want to play nice.
Overall I had an alright weekend my eating was on the bad side but I did get a walk in on Saturday and took my son to Betty Brinn that morning so there was also lots of walking there. I was feeling OK that night so I got some cleaning done, at least there was calorie burning going on :)  I have been trying to allow myself a cheat day on the weekend but 2 days wasn't good. Not even sure why I did it but the important thing is to recover and start the week out strong.and keep up the momentum.
I took my morning walk today and made the whole path, took me 5 minutes longer then usual since I had to go slower but I am feeling pretty good I got the whole thing in. Hopefully I can take an afternoon one also.

 I'm reading Jillian Michael's book at the moment "Winning By Losing" I'm hoping this will help with my desire to fail.  I'm at the chapter where goals need to written out by day, week, month and long term. And a reward system that is non food related.
So here we go!
Long Term Goal
  1. Weight in a healthy range for my age and height.
  2. Cholesterol in a normal range including HDL and LDL numbers in a  normal range.
  3. I want to feel energized and RA under control.
                                                         *** Ultimate Reward***
                                            Buy a new wardrobe to show off a new body and
                                            attitude! 


Monthly Goal
  1. Go 4 weeks of walking at work on breaks and lunch. 
  2. Bring my lunch or buy lunch from fit food trainer. NO FAST FOOD!
  3. Cholesterol moving in the right direction. (appointment is April 12th) 
  4. Feeling better and clothes feel loose.
                                                     ***Monthly Reward***
                                                Buy a new pair of walking shoes.


Weekly Goal
  1. Eat healthy all week.
  2. Take 2 to 3 small walks a day.
  3. Bring fruit and veggies for snacks.
***Weekly Reward***
Either a pedicure or schedule a massage.

Daily Goal 
  1. Eat a healthy Breakfast, lunch and dinner
  2. Bring snacks from home
  3. Walk 2 to 3 times a day 
***Daily Reward***
Think I am going to stick weekly rewards :)


I think the goals are a really good visual to hold myself accountable and keep the motivation up. As you may have noticed I put nothing in there about the scale or numbers. I get very addicted to the scale and start to weigh myself 2 times or more a day. This needs to be about health and lowering my cholesterol and the weight loss will be an added benefit. I was recently told to take a tight fitting pair of clothes and put them in a bag and in 30 days try them on so we'll see what happens. 


"Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement."
Brian Tracy, Eat that Frog
                               











5 comments:

  1. Hi I am an Occupational Therapy student and we have a case study with RA which we have to write a report on, I was just wondering if you were shown a specific model for your goal setting or if anyone helped you set them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found the goal setting through Jillian Michael's book "Winning By Losing" I just modified it to fit my needs a little better.
    Genny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, good luck :)

    ReplyDelete